Maple Leaf Foods has strong values that deeply define our culture and how we operate. These values have a very direct relationship with how we treat animals we raise or source. Better care for our animals is one of our four sustainability priorities and reflects our goal to be a leader in animal care.
As the largest value-added meat protein company in Canada, we must be a leader in animal care. To achieve this, we must make animal welfare integral to our culture and business, while also committing the organizational focus and resources necessary to reach our goal. Our commitment to animal care focuses on progress in all of these areas:
- Minimize or eliminate the use of antibiotics in animal care, wherever possible
- Continue to transition sows from gestation crates to our Advanced Open Sow Housing system
- Improve our transportation system with innovations such as hydraulic-lift pig trailers and climate-controlled poultry trailers
We are committed to enhancing our animal wellness practices in a manner that advances the Five Freedoms – the most widely accepted global standard for responsible animal care.
The Five Freedoms
- Freedom from hunger or thirst by providing ready access to fresh water and a diet that maintains good health and vigour
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease through prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to express normal behaviours by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress by providing conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering