Media Advisory - Youth Expert on national speaking tour sponsored by Maple Leaf Foods
TORONTO, Oct. 20, 2006 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX News Network) -- Dr. Karyn Gordon, one of Canada's leading authorities on understanding and communicating with youth, has embarked on a multi-city national speaking tour, thanks to sponsorship by Maple Leaf Foods in conjunction with Loblaws Stores.
A renowned parent/teen coach, speaker and author, Dr. Karyn will speak in each city at both a school and a local Loblaws or affiliated store. The school sessions will alternate between two interactive workshops to help children in grades four to 12: Spill Your Guts (three strategies to build self esteem) or Friendships Unplugged (three practical ways to build healthy friendships).
At the Loblaws engagements, she will facilitate her Lost in Translation seminar (five keys to understanding parent/youth communication). The Loblaws and affiliated store seminars are open to the public for a donation of $10 to the President's Choice Children's Charity. The public can sign-up by calling the toll free numbers found on Dr. Karyn's website, www.drkaryn.com.
"When I speak across the country, the number one question I get asked from parents is how can I get my kids to talk with me?" cites Dr. Karyn Gordon. "My five tips to great parent/child communication are: know your end goal; know the best time and know the worst time; know the right words; know your body language; and seek feedback."
Dr. Karyn's tour schedule:
- Ajax, ON, Oct. 24, Real Canadian Super Store, 30 Kingston Rd. W.
- Mississauga, ON, Nov. 6, Real Canadian Super Store, 3050 Argentia Rd.
- Richmond Hill, ON, Nov. 7, Loblaws, 310 Hightech Road
- Oakville, ON, Nov. 14, Real Canadian Super Store, 201 Oak Park Drive
- Newmarket, ON, Nov. 15, Real Canadian Super Store, 18200 Yonge St.
- Halifax, NS, Nov. 20, Atlantic Superstore, 3601 Joseph Howe Dr.
- Moncton, NB, Nov. 21, Atlantic Superstore, 429 Coverdale Rd.
- Nepean, ON, Nov. 27, Loblaws, 3201 Greenbank Rd.
- Gloucester, ON, Nov. 28, Loblaws, 1980 Ogilvie Rd.
- London, ON, Nov. 30, Real Canadian Super Store, 825 Oxford St. E.
- Calgary, AB, Dec. 6, Real Canadian Super Store, 100 Country Village Rd. NE.
Dr. Karyn, a motivational speaker, author, TV/radio host and magazine contributor, has spoken to more than 200,000 teens, parents, counselors and marketers across North America. Her gift is communicating creatively so psychology 'makes sense' to both teens and parents. She has a doctorate in Marriage and Family Therapy and while not on the road, operates a coaching and wellness studio with her husband, a chiropractor, in the Beaches area of downtown Toronto. This is the fourth year that Maple Leaf Foods has sponsored her speaking tour but is the first year the tour is available nationwide. For more information, please go to www.drkaryn.com.
Maple Leaf Foods Inc. is a leading Canadian food processing company committed to delivering quality food products to consumers around the world. Headquartered in Toronto, the Company employs approximately 24,000 people at its operations across Canada and in the United States, Europe and Asia. The Company had sales of $6.1 billion in 2005. For more information, please visit www.mapleleaf.com.
For news download of MP3 clips of Dr. Karyn (Spill Your Guts), please go to:
SOURCE: Maple Leaf Foods Inc.
and interviews: Mark LaVigne, APR, President, Hunter LaVigne Communications Inc.,
(905) 841-2017 (office),
(416) 884-2018 (cell),