- Ground Pork 160ºF (70ºC)
- Ground Chicken / turkey 175ºF (80ºC)
- Pork chops / roasts / fresh cured ham 160ºF (71ºC)
- Ham (fully cooked, ready-to-eat) Cold, or 140ºF (60ºC)
- Whole turkey (stuffed) or chicken (stuffed or not)180ºF (82ºC)
- Chicken or turkey pieces 170ºF (77ºC)
- Ground Beef 160ºF (70ºC)
Cooking Meat - Temperature Guidelines
A meat thermometer is the only definitive way to know that your meat is cooked properly. Many inexpensive, user-friendly models are available to suit your individual cooking needs.
Proper use of the meat thermometer is crucial to maximize food safety. The thermometer must be inserted into the thickest part of the meat, without touching any bone or fat to get an accurate reading.
A cold spot in food can become a hotbed for bacteria. When using a microwave oven, cover food, stir and rotate for even, thorough cooking.
Use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of meat and poultry.
The following charts provide a handy reference for cooking meat to safe
temperatures - General, Chicken and Pork.
Temperature And Cooking Times For Chicken
- Approx. Grilling
Time Approx Roasting
Time (35ºF) Internal
- Leg quarters bone in, 113-225g. 10-15 minutes per side 40-50 minutes 77ºC/170ºF
- Thigh, bone in , 140-198g. 10-15 minutes per side 30-40 minutes 77ºC/170ºF
- Thigh, boneless, 85g. 6-8 minutes per side 20-30 minutes 77ºC/170ºF
- Breast, bone in, 170g-225g. 10-15 minutes per side 30-40 minutes 77ºC/170ºF
- Breast, boneless, 113g. 6-8 minutes per side 20-30 minutes 77ºC/170ºF
- Whole chicken, 1.4-2.3Kg. broiler 11/4-21/2 hours on revolving spit 11/2-21/2 hours 82ºC/180ºF
- Whole chicken, 2.7-3.6Kg. roaster 11/2-21/4 hours on revolving spit 11/2-21/2 hours 82ºC/180ºF
- Ground chicken, 170g patty. 10-15 minutes per side 20-30 minutes 80ºC/175ºF
Covered with added liquid - Low heat or in the oven at 325ºF (160ºC) for approximately 30-35 - minutes per pound (per 0.5 kg)
Braising/Pot Roasting Stewing
Large Cuts Smaller portions or pieces
Roasts Cubes Strips Side, back or country-style ribs Shoulder chops/steaks
Loin or shoulder steaks/chops
Sirloin tip roast Side, back or country-style ribs
Uncovered with NO added liquid
Smaller portions or piecesSmaller portions or pieces Steaks, Chops, Ribs, RoastsSmaller portions of piecesLarge Cuts
Chop Steaks Steaks Side or back ribs Chops/SteaksSide, back or country style ribsStrips Cubes GroundLeg or loin roasts
TenderloinGround burgersLoin roastsGround porkCrown roast Rack of pork Tenderloin
SausageGround burgersSirloin tip roast
Leg cutletsSirloin tip roast
Ground BurgersRack of pork Chops/steaks